Sunday 18 October 2009

King William and the "Thumbikins"

"I have heard," said King William, to Principal Carstairs, "that you were tortured with something they call 'thumbikins'; pray what sort of instument of torture is it?"

"I will show it you," replied Carstairs, "the next time I have the honour to wait upon your Majesty."

The Principal was as good as his word. "I must try them," said the King. "I must put in my thumbs here - now, Principal, turn the screw. Oh! not so gently - another turn - another - stop! stop! no more. Another turn, I'm afraid, would make me confess anything."

-Statistical account

Editor's note: Thumbscrews were used to torture Christians of Reformed faith into confessing their "crimes" against the government, i.e. practicing religious freedom. They can be seen at the Museum of Scotland on Chambers Street, along with the Boot (similar instrument) and The Maiden, a guillotine.

No comments:

Post a Comment